You Know You Are From St Catharines When…
I don’t recall where I first got these, but if you are from St. Catharines, Ontario and over 30 then you will probably nod feverishly to at least half of these.
If you know who created the list, let me know in the comments so I can give them proper credit.
Edit: It seems we may have identified the original creator of the list; Sam Burgio, brother of commentor Carm. Thanks Carm!
[thrive_headline_focus title=”You Know Your Are From St. Catharines if…” orientation=”center”]
1. You played pool (at least once) at The Rack.
2. You remember the Bijou Arcade in Lincoln Mall. (If you actually played in there consider yourself a veteran!)
3. You always wondered if anyone went inside of that Blackbeard’s Barbershop at the corner of Geneva and Linwell.
4. You shopped at Food City, Towers, Woolco, and Food Terminal followed by their respective successors of IGA, Zellers, Walmart and Commisso’s.
5. You ate at all 37 different Fish and Chips franchises at the north corner of the Linwell Plaza.
6. You had your prescriptions filled at the Big V.
7. You ALWAYS refer to AVONDALE when speaking of a convenience store no matter where you are in the world).
8. You played with and probably cried over the Tiger-Cat toys at the front of Bargain Harold’s at the Lincoln Mall.
9. You remember that stuffed animal in a hot air balloon hanging from the ceiling inside the OLD Fairview Mall, or the live birds inside the big cage.
10. You won a Book-IT coupon from elementary school and you used it to buy a personal sized pepperoni pizza at Pizza Hut.
11. You attended at least one of the St. Alfred Italian Feasts even if you aren’t Italian.
12. You joyfully ran up and down the many brown tiled ramps that were inside the old Pen Centre.
13. You thought that Lincoln Mall Cinemas were the best in the city, even though the Town Cinemas on St. Paul St. were cooler.
14. You worked out at either the old Downtown or Grantham YMCA’s.
15. One of your parents or grandparents bought cold cut meats at the Italian Shop on Garnet St.
16. Your heart flutters with recognition whenever you see someone outside of the Niagara Region carrying a Commisso’s bag.
17. You went with your parents to buy plants on Ontario Street across from the K-Mart.
18. You were shit on at Happy Rolph’s more than once!
19. One of your parents misses Joe McCaffery
20. You played in the Queen Elizabeth community centre 15 yrs ago and you thought it was a dive even back then!
21. You point out to every out of towner that Victoria School was featured in the Christmas Story.
22. You bought velcro shoes, white underwear or socks at least once at each major Biway outlet in the city.
23. You saw a $2 movie at the Pendale Cinemas.
24. You went on a date to TropiGolf or caused shit there with one of your friends.
25. You had a Blue or Red Icee (aka liquid cocaine) at the Woolco Food Court.
26. You pissed in Lancaster Pool.
27. You hate getting caught at one of the bridges (if you understand this sentence you ARE a true St. Kitter!)
28. Your ice cream has dropped out of the cone at the Avondale Dairy Bar on Stewart Road.
29. Your ID was taken away at the Lakeside or Gord’s.
30. You know Pearson Park as the “Rocket ship park“.
31. You remeber the Word of Life church being an orchard.
32. You can drive through downtown without getting confused, park for free,and find your car at the end of the night.
33. The best place to get lunch downtown was at Diana Sweets.
34. You smoked pot or tobagganed at Jaycee Park.
35. You get confused in towns without Summer and Winter bars.
36. You’ve been on at least one date which included “walking the pier.
37. You know the differnce between Welland, Wellandport, and Port Weller.
38. You have a personal favourite Tim Hortons
39. You feel a certain smug superiority over everyone who’s from Thorold.
40. You hate Niagara Falls.
41. You got tricked at least once as a kid by the knife & tool sharpening truck, mistaking it for a Dikee-Dee.
42. You went to the front window of the Hobby Shop on St. Paul St. to put your hand on the glass and make the train go around the track.
43. You bought canned goods at Valdi’s.
44. You had a birthday pizza party as a kid at Julio’s, your name was put on the train, and a Polaroid picture of you was put on a button.
45. You went grocery shopping at either the Miracle Mart, Dominion, or Loblaws at the Pen, and then bought bottles of cream soda at the Pop Shoppe.
46. You were born at the Hotel Dieu Hospital.
47. You had a hard time deciding whether to go to the Friday night Falcons game, or wait until Saturday to see the Saints play.
48. Jack Gatecliff Arena will always be known to you as Garden City Arena.
49. Sergeant Harry Artinian visited your school with Elmer the Safety Elephant.
50. You slid down the big steel slide at Motebello Park.
51. You learned how to hit a golf ball on the driving range where Costco is now. Remember the big yellow tires?
52. A good place for ice cream was the Baskin Robbins on Geneva Street.
53. It used to seem like you were driving far out into the country when you went to Club Roma.
54. You slept out in at tent at Camp Wetaskiwin.
55. You’ve gotten really drunk at the Mansion House after the Grape & Wine Festival Parade.
56. You were in the Pied Piper Parade at some time during your childhood.
57. You hit a methane gas pole with your ball at the Municipal Golf Course.
58. You loved to explore the different departments (especially the toys upstairs) at Coy Brothers.
59. Before the Mandarin, there was Kim Court, and before there was Toys R Us there was Consumers Distributing – both at the Pendale Plaza.
60. You tell everyone around you that the song is about St. Catharines whenever you hear “Lakeside Park” by Rush being played on the radio